In the ever-changing competitive business landscape, the optimal use of information technology can often be a determining factor for success. One strategy that many companies utilize is outsourcing their IT management. By outsourcing IT functions, businesses can enhance both their user experience and overall productivity.
Outsourcing is a business practice where a company hires another company to handle certain business functions and responsibilities. In the context of IT management, outsourcing refers to delegating all or part of a company’s information technology (IT) operations and services to a managed service provider (MSP).
Outsourcing IT management has become an increasingly popular strategy for companies of all sizes.
Outsourcing IT management can have a significant positive impact on user experience and productivity. By leveraging external expertise, companies can provide more reliable technology, better support, and greater innovation to internal users.
Many companies struggle with managing their IT infrastructure fully in-house. Common pain points include:
- Lack of technical expertise and best practices
- Inadequate support staff to address issues quickly
- Difficulty evaluating and implementing new technologies
Outsourced IT partners specialize in areas like data and systems management, security, and help desk support. They supplement a company’s capabilities with industry-leading best practices, experienced professionals, and technical breadth difficult to match internally.
From an end user perspective, outsourcing IT management improves experience by:
- Increasing uptime and reliability through proactive monitoring and maintenance
- Providing faster resolution of tickets and minimized downtime from a dedicated help desk
- Delivering better collaboration tools and latest software to users
Users benefit from less frustration with technology, more responsive support, and greater ability to be productive with up-to-date solutions. Their user experience will be enhanced with MSP services because of the user friendly approach to troubleshooting and communication surrounding issues.
The productivity gains from outsourced IT management are multifaceted:
- Less workflow disruptions from IT problems or firewall breaches
- Improved efficiency with upgraded hardware/software
- Freeing up internal staff to focus less on IT support and more on core goals
With outsourced partners managing infrastructure, systems, and support, companies redirect time and energy to growing the business. The less downtime your employees experience day-to-day, the more productive their workflow will be.
User experience (UX) focuses on understanding user behaviors, needs, and motivations in order to design technology tools that are more intuitive, engaging, and enjoyable to use. Good UX leads to higher productivity in several ways:
- Simpler interfaces minimize complexity and confusion, allowing users to complete tasks faster.
- Personalized experiences keep employees engaged and motivated over longer periods.
- Consistent designs across platforms reduce the need to re-learn processes.
- Better data insights help employees prioritize and focus efforts on producing the intended business outcomes.
Looking to upgrade your IT with outsourced services? Take a look at how Hilliard IT Solutions handles managed IT services with their robust process.
While outsourcing IT management can yield significant benefits, careful selection of providers and governance of partnerships is vital to success.
Key criteria in vetting providers should include:
- Industry specialization and technical breadth
- Capability to scale services aligned to business growth
- Financial stability with sustained client partnerships
- Benchmarking methods and performance metrics
- Information security frameworks and data privacy controls
Taking the time up front to thoroughly evaluate partners can help avoid pitfalls down the road.
Common outsourcing approaches each have significant advantages to notice. Total outsourcing hands off all IT and allows your business to operate without worrying about security breaches. Managed services target specific functions like help desk or applications, that make it easy to bounce back after system outages.
Sometimes, you may not need the consistent help, but more specific pain points addressed. Project-based consulting handles major initiatives without fixed commitment. Companies should match the model to internal readiness, budget, and business objectives.
Industry research on failed and successful outsourcing initiatives reveals:
- The #1 predictor is whether an outsourcing strategy aligns to company goals.
- Disconnections stem from poor communications and undefined metrics.
- Flexible partnerships outlast rigid contracts locking providers into inflexible terms.
By taking a collaborative approach anchored in transparency and accountability, the outsourcing yields multiply over time.
There are several key potential benefits that make outsourcing an appealing option for many businesses:
- Cost savings: Outsourcers can provide economies of scale and specialized expertise that allows them to deliver services more efficiently.
- Improved quality: Experienced outsourcers maintain best-practice processes and industry certifications.
- Increased flexibility and scalability: It’s easier to ramp services up or down as needs change. Wait times for services are typically lower as well.
- Risk mitigation: Outsourced providers manage compliance, security, and business continuity so the organization doesn’t have to.
- Strategic focus: There is more time for internal staff to focus on core objectives and innovation rather than maintenance.
In addition to operational efficiencies, outsourcing IT management also empowers businesses to pursue strategic opportunities for growth, including:
- Leveraging new technologies like AI, automation, and cloud faster
- Focusing internal talent and resources on developing competitive advantages and innovations rather than “keeping the lights on” activities
- Enabling expansion into new products, services, and geographical markets by providing scalable and secure IT infrastructure
- Supporting mergers, acquisitions, and consolidations, which require rapidly integrating disparate systems and processes